Internal Control Analyst
- Business Support Departments
- Role Type
- Richmond VA (Glen Allen Headquarters)
- Based on experience
- Job Advert Description
Internal Control Analyst
About Elephant: Why You Should Join “The Herd”
At Elephant Insurance, we believe that people who like what they do, do it better. We pride ourselves on a relaxed and dynamic company culture that has earned us the honor of being named one of the best places to work! As our company grows, we encourage an environment of individual contribution, long-term commitment, and employee growth and development.
Elephant Insurance strives towards creating and sustaining a flexible, adaptable and customer-centric workplace atmosphere. We aim to uphold our start-up mentality backed by one of the UK’s largest insurers, Admiral Group. We value our ability to identify and develop talented, motivated people to help Elephant become a growing, profitable, sustainable company with the customer at the center.
Summary of Benefits:
- 22 days of paid time off each year plus an additional day each year until your 6th year
- Shares of stock that pay dividends throughout the year and vest three years from the date they are granted
- 401k match of 100% up to 5% of employee earnings
- Health savings account option and choice of three medical plans
- Dental, vision, legal and disability coverage
- Gym membership reimbursement and athletic event reimbursement
- Local discounts with various restaurants, gyms and other companies
About our Internal Control Analyst:
This role will reside in the Controllership group within the Finance department, in Glen Allen, VA. The Internal Control Analyst supports business process owners in the execution of internal control activities. Foundational to the role is the ability to foster relationships across functional areas of the business, at all levels. Partnering with others to review processes, identify and understand risks and implement controls to effectively manage them. They will identify internal control gaps in financial procedures, processes or systems, and initiate appropriate remedial action. They will also ensure that documentation for all processes across the organization are reviewed and updated, periodically. The ideal candidate will have an eye for detail, a logical approach to problem-solving, excellent analytical abilities, effective communication skills and great time-management abilities.
- Assist in identifying, designing, documenting and testing key controls and evaluating the effectiveness of control design and operation.
- Maintain documentation of controls and processes including narratives, flow charts and matrices.
- Assist control owners with completing control tasks and remediation of control failures
- Assist in building company knowledge and understanding of financial risks and controls
- Assist with risk assessment discussions
- Assess and track emerging risks
- Manage individual risk incidents
- Review data on incidents within the business and identify the root cause
- Build and maintain influential working relationships across functional departments, including Finance, Management Information Systems (MIS), IT and Product teams, as well as with all levels of the company
- Provide excellent customer service to internal and external customers
- Conduct frequent ad hoc analysis across business functions as needed
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Business or related field
- 1-3 years total business experience
- Proficiency in MS Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Experience with data analysis using Microsoft Excel
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to learn new concepts quickly
- A self-starter with the ability to prioritize, multi-task, meet deadlines and take ownership of projects.
- Ability to partner with others
- Insurance industry experience
- Working knowledge of COSO internal control framework and its application to control enterprise risk
- Desire to understand databases, BI reporting tools, and Transact-SQL language, prior experience would be a plus.
- Closing Date