- Business Support Departments
- Role Type
- Richmond VA (Glen Allen Headquarters)
- Based on Experience
- Job Advert Description
Elephant is currently seeking an Actuarial Associate in our Glen Allen, Virginia corporate office. The Finance Department is a highly visible team with a meaningful impact on the success of the company. As an Actuarial Associate, you will be responsible for creating and updating monthly reports, developing quarterly reserve and loss ratio projections, and completing exhibits for the annual financial statements. This position reports to the Reserving Manager. This position requires an individual to manage multiple assignments concurrently and demonstrate the ability to work independently. A successful candidate would excel at analytical thinking and be comfortable communicating technical results to senior management and non-technical colleagues.
The Actuarial track is focused on furthering a candidate’s development within the field of Actuarial Science; study hours and exam assistance are provided by Elephant. Associates may have an opportunity for a rotation into the Pricing Department to further their knowledge of actuarial techniques.
- Proactively monitoring loss ratio trends and communicating findings to management.
- Developing indications of ultimate loss and loss adjustment expenses on a quarterly basis and communicating conclusions and proposals to senior management.
- Coordinating with Management Information Systems Department to implement changes to system generated reserves.
- Producing indications of projected loss ratio on a quarterly basis, coordinating with Pricing Department on rate level decisions, and communicating proposals for senior management.
- Completing Schedule P exhibits for the annual financial statement.
- Providing recommendations to management regarding appropriate cover for Catastrophic Excess of Loss Reinsurance.
- Partnering with claims analysts to identify recent claims trends.
- Other analysis as needed.
- Bachelor's degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Actuarial Science, Economics, Finance, Computer Science, Engineering, or other related business or quantitative discipline
- 0-2 Years of Experience
- Successful completion of one or more Actuarial Exams (P, FM...)
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Some computer programming knowledge (SAS, SQL or other programming language)
- Excellent quantitative, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Closing Date